Volunteering at the May Competition
Please volunteer for the day of the event and allow us to assign you, often as part of a team, to tasks as needed throughout the day. All Envirothon volunteers are notoriously smart, good-humored, competent, and hard-working, so we can guarantee you will be a highly-valued member of a dream team, wherever you are assigned – join the fun!
The entire day runs from 7:00 A.M. to about 3:00 P.M., and the ideal volunteer will be able to commit to helping out in one way or another for the entire day. The tasks roughly break down into four categories, each with a definite time frame:
- Registration activities (7-9:30 A.M.) can involve greeting and registering the many participants and directing them to their first station of the day, or setting out and offering refreshments;
- The Competition portion of the day (7:30 A.M.-12:30 P.M.) requires team guides, score runners, eco-station assistants, and presentation hosts;
- The Lunch and Activity phase (11:00 A.M.-2:00 P.M.) encompasses serving the simple but delicious lunch options and helping to clean up afterward; moderating roundtable discussions; and collecting evaluations from the students.
- Pack-up teams (2:00 P.M.-3:00 P.M.) help to break the event down and load supplies and equipment into vehicles.
Some of these blocks overlap, so no volunteer will be able or expected to help in all four, but the more time you can give the event, the better it will go and the easier it will be for all.
If you cannot commit to the entire day, but are confident you could help with some portion of it, please fill out and send us the Volunteer Contact Sheet, and indicate your constraints, whether temporal or physical, and the volunteer coordinator, Dan Giza, will contact you to discuss the possibilities.
Volunteering at the Massachusetts Envirothon has many benefits:
- You will enjoy complimentary coffee, refreshments, and lunch.
- You’ll have many opportunities to network with committed educators, community activists, and environmental professionals from across Massachusetts.
- You can interact with the student-teams (lunchtime roundtables are the best opportunity for this), find out what their interests and concerns are, and share your own. This is an excellent opportunity for students to be taken seriously by adults from a variety of professions and communities.
- You’ll spend a May day outdoors. No advance preparation is required: you get to show up and just be yourself.
- You’ll also reconnect with your own inspiration to make a difference for both young people and the Massachusetts landscape.
Volunteering throughout the year
The Mass Envirothon is more than just the competition day in May, it’s a year-long program! The Steering Committee is the engine that keeps the Envirothon running and are always looking for new enthusiastic members to take on the challenge of making it all happen. Whether you can attend every meeting, assist at a workshop, fundraise, help with media material, or simply donate your time and experience to advise the committee, we would like to speak with you. Please complete the Volunteer Contact Form and indicate that you are interested in volunteering throughout the year.
If you can help make this year’s Envirothon the best one yet, please complete the Volunteer Contact Form or contact Dan Giza ((508-277-4981) for more information. Thank you!